|   All Languages   
EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   FI   LA   ES   HU   NO   BG   HR   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   SQ   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   ES   NL   HU   RO   PL   SV   NO   RU   FI   SQ   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   BG   LA   EO   SR   BS   TR   EL

Dictionnaire Anglais-Français

Online Dictionary French-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÀàÂâ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|New Website|About|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Französisch
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic help needed   Chat and other topics   Dictionary entries   Contribute!  

French-English Translation Forum

This is the place to post your translation requests in English or French and to help others with your skills and knowledge. Important: Always give the context of your enquiry!
Search | Guidelines | New Question
Term:
Insertion of French titles with Le, La or Les into English text  
by allamarie, 2016-01-02, 03:00  like dislike  Spam?  86.171.253....
Hello, I am looking for guidance (as detailed as possible) on how to incorporate French words and phrases starting with a definite article into English text. When should it be omitted? When should it be replaced by the English definite article? When included, in what cases should it be capitalised? For example, the following phrases may or may not be correct:

I would not have him mistaken for a vagabond but I see no need for him to be taken for Le Prince de Condé.

The Comédie Française is now patriotically re-baptised Le Théâtre de la Nation.

The play opened in September at the Théâtre de la Nation.

Marat kept up his constant criticism of the Assembly in the pages of the “Ami du Peuple” [name of newspaper]

He wonders what’s going to happen as soon as the sounds of “La Marseillaise” fade in the distance.

He is the sort who would steal from la Patrie if he could, whatever the danger it faced.

I'm heading for the Place de la Révolution.

Mist rises from the river and creeps over la plaine des Chazeaux.

The manufacture of silk was the business of La Grande Fabrique, comprised of a few hundred merchants and several thousand “Canuts”.

I realise there are many possible combinations and many categories of proper names, titles, geographical names etc that may have their own rule applicable to them. Ideally all the relevant rules would be assembled in one place but any bits and pieces or examples of correct use or corrected versions of the phrases I provided as examples, would be greatly appreciated.  Many thanks in advance for your help.
 « go back

back to top | home© 2002 - 2024 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
French-English online dictionary (Dictionnaire Anglais-Français) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement