All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   IT   RU   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   HR   ES   BG   NO   FI   CS   TR   DA   PL   EL   SR   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   PT   CS   HR   RO   |   more ...

Dictionnaire Anglais-Français

Online Dictionary French-English: Enter keyword here!
 ÀàÂâ...
  https | Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Französisch
 the choke in artichoke »
« Short translation of "Music Library"?    

French-English Translation of
Could you check my

« go back | show/hide answers | notify of additions
Term:
Could you check my translation?  
by Lilly829, 2017-08-29, 20:43  Spam?  198.11.28....
Hi, I am trying to translate this quote into English. I would appreciate it if you could check my translation.

French text: “Paris et Londres ne se confondent pas avec leurs limites géographiques. Paris, bien entendu, ce ne sont pas les Champs-Élysées ni Montmartre, tardivement annexés; c’est de moins en moins le Palais-Royal où se pressait naguère une cohue hétéroclite, dans laquelle les élégants côtoyaient les malandrins”

My Translation:
The geographical borders of Paris and London are not mixed up. Paris, certainly, is not Champs-Élysées nor Montmartre, late appended; it is less and less the Royal Palace where not long ago a diverse rabble of the elegant ones and robbers socialized with each other.

Thanks
Answer:
A suggestion  #877675
by unprousting (GB), Last modified: 2017-09-01, 17:09  Spam?  
I'm no expert, but I would suggest a slightly looser translation:

Paris and London should not be confused with their geographical boundaries. Paris, of course, is not just the Champs-Élysées or Montmartre, which were incorporated later; even less is it the Palais-Royal where not so long ago an eccentric rabble used to throng, where elegant folk rubbed shoulders with criminals.
Answer:
Thanks  #877746
by Lilly829, 2017-09-02, 20:05  Spam?  73.153.101...

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment

Headline
Username
E-Mail (opt.)
Description
Context or additional information. HTML not allowed! Links starting with http:// will be clickable. Formatting: +word+ will be displayed as word, *word* will result in word.
» guidelines
« go back
 Standard reply: Context | Try on your own | Ask Paul | Dictionary
Postings are publicly visible and can be found using search engines.

back to top | home© 2002 - 2017 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
French-English online dictionary (Dictionnaire Anglais-Français) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads