All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   IT   FR   RO   PT   HU   LA   NL   SK   ES   HR   BG   FI   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   SR   EL   EO   |   SK   HU   FR   PL   NL   SQ   RU   NO   ES   SV   IT   DA   CS   PT   HR   FI   BG   RO   |   more ...

Dictionnaire Anglais-Français

Online Dictionary French-English: Enter keyword here!
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations | Desktop

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Französisch
Types of entries to display:     Linguistic Help Needed   Chat and Other Topics   Dictionary and Contribute!  

French-English Translation Forum

This is the place to post your translation requests in English or French and to help others with your skills and knowledge. Important: Always give the context of your enquiry!
Search | Guidelines | New Question
proposera guère brillante  
by Windbuchse (US), 2017-12-11, 04:09  Spam?  
Translating the Memoirs of Langeron and have bumped up against this phrase:  ... on ne la lui proposera guar brilliant...

The full context is: Il semble intéressant de connaître l’opinion que le prince de Schwarzenberg se faisait à ce moment sur le sort de la guerre. Le 8 septembre, ilécrivait au prince de Metternich: « Je ne puis cependant pas me flatter que l’empereur Alexandre fera la paix sans tenter une nouvelle campagne; on ne la lui proposera guère brillante, et, alors, il croira pouvoir l’avoir au même prix l’été prochain après des efforts renouvelés. Si l’empereur Napoléon arrive à Moscou, que fera-t-il de la ville ? Elle est trop grande et vaste pour être brûlée, trop peuplée pour être occupée ou dépassée par l’armée en cas que l’autre voulût continuer sa constante retraite. C’est une guerre sur une échelle immense; tout y est hors des proportions ordinaires. »

I have: It is interesting to know what the opinion of the Prince of Schwarzenberg was at that time on the fate of the war. On the 8th of September he wrote to Prince Metternich: “I can not, however, flatter myself that the Emperor Alexander will make peace without attempting another campaign; it not to him a hardly brilliant proposal, and, then, he will think he can have it at the same price next summer after renewed efforts. If the Emperor Napoleon arrives in Moscow, what will he do with the city? It is too big and large to be burned, too populated to be occupied or exceeded by the army in case the other wants to continue its constant retreat. It is a war on an immense scale; everything is out of ordinary proportion.”

on ne la lui proposera guar brillante -  From a historical context, I want to translate this as: .. the (peace) offer will scarcely be adequate...    but am not sure at all.

« go back

back to top | home© 2002 - 2018 Paul Hemetsberger | contact
French-English online dictionary (Dictionnaire Anglais-Français) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information!
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Remove Ads