All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   NL   PT   HU   FI   ES   LA   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   BS   |   FR   SK   IS   HU   NL   ES   PL   RU   NO   SQ   SV   IT   FI   DA   CS   PT   HR   RO   BG   |   more ...

Dictionnaire Anglais-Français

Online Dictionary French-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÀàÂâ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Französisch

Report Spam

Use this page to report the forum entry below as spam. The text of the entry will be hidden automatically as soon as three registered users reported it. In case an entry was marked as spam erroneously you can also vote against it, so the amount of spam votes needed is increased by one.

Is this an unwanted entry (spam)?
You have to be logged in as a registered user to be able to vote. This measure should avoid possible abuse of this function. Login | Sign Up

Answer:
Country tags for English  #935341
by Puchenau (GB/AT), 2022-04-14, 13:10  like dislike  Spam?  
As the question refers to DE/EN, I will illustrate my response using examples from DE/EN.  The question implies that, in DE/EN, there is an unwritten rule that entries tagged with [Br.] apply also to ex-British colonies such as [Aus.] and  [NZ] and entries tagged [Am.] apply also to [Can.]. I have not found this rule anywhere and, I think, for good reasons.

Yes, it is generally accepted that many words which end in -yse such as
to analyse [Br.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
apply also to [Aus.] and  [NZ] and the same words ending in -yze
to analyze [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
apply also in Can.

However, there are many examples tagged [Am.] which do not apply in [Can.] such as
to color [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
to center [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
traveler [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)

Lots of slang / colloquial expressions are labelled with [Br.] or [Am.], for example
starkers [Br.] [coll.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
butt naked [Am.] [coll.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
to gob [Br.] [coll.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
to hawk a loogie [Am.] [sl.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
I suspect that it does not automatically follow that these expressions are current in other countries.

There are some national expressions such as
bank holiday weekend [Br.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
Thanksgiving (Day) [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
which are not applicable in other countries.

There are common words in one country where another word is used in another country.
bin [Br.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
trash receptacle [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
In [Can.] the small indoor receptacle is generally call the ‘garbage’, ‘bin’ seems to be good in [Aus.] and  [NZ].

Whereas all 4 countries in [Am.], [Can.], [Aus.] and  [NZ] use
delivery truck [Am.] | Übersetzung Englisch-Deutsch (dict.cc)
and [Br.] uses delivery lorry or van.

Summary: I think the unwritten rule cannot be applied in all cases and, therefore, is not a rule.
[Am.] alone should mean that the entry applies only to that country. It does not mean that it is not applicable elsewhere but one cannot assume that. If the entry is known to be valid in [Can.], [NZ] or [Aus.]  then the entry should be so additionally tagged.

[Br.] alone should mean that the entry applies only to that country. It does not mean that it is not applicable elsewhere but one cannot assume that. If the entry is known to be valid in [Can.], [NZ] or [Aus.]  then the entry should be so additionally tagged.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2022 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
French-English online dictionary (Dictionnaire Anglais-Français) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement