All Languages    |   EN   SV   IS   RU   RO   FR   IT   SK   PT   NL   HU   FI   LA   ES   BG   HR   NO   CS   DA   TR   PL   EO   SR   EL   BS   |   SK   FR   HU   IS   NL   PL   ES   SQ   RU   SV   NO   FI   IT   CS   PT   DA   HR   BG   RO   |   more ...

Dictionnaire Anglais-Français

Online Dictionary French-English: Enter keyword here!
  ÀàÂâ...
  Options | Tips | FAQ | Abbreviations

LoginSign Up
Home|About/Extras|Vocab Trainer|Subjects|Users|Forum|Contribute!
Übersetzungsforum Englisch-Französisch
 Could someone translate this into english? »
« Translation Help letter English to french    

French-English Translation of
Sarcasm

« go back | show/hide answers | follow discussion
Term:
Sarcasm  
by duin (UN), 2017-09-29, 21:49  like dislike  Spam?  
In a Gary Larsen, 'Far Side' joke an alien coming out of a flying saucer, trips and falls. Another alien says,
"Wonderful!, Just wonderful!....So much for instilling them with a sense of awe."

The 'Wonderful, just wonderful' is, of course, sarcastic. But what would you say to get that same sense of sarcasm in French? Can anyone help me with a good translation for this joke?
Answer:
Super ! C'est juste super !  #883339
by matthieu- (FR/US), 2017-12-05, 15:00  like dislike  Spam?  
or
Fantastique ! Simplement fantastique !
or
Bravo ! Vraiment bravo !

Hope that helps!
Matthieu
Answer:
Thanks, I should ask about the rest.  #883384
by duin (UN), 2017-12-06, 09:48  like dislike  Spam?  
Thanks for the help. Looking at it now, I realise I should ask about the rest of the sentence, "...So much for instilling them with a sense of awe."
"So much for..." is not necessarily a simple direct translation. And for that matter, "sense of awe" may or may not translate directly.
Can you tell me a good translation for this second part of the sentence?
Answer:
Well, I usually don't help when there is no 'translation' effort produced...  #883407
by matthieu- (FR/US), 2017-12-06, 14:13  like dislike  Spam?  
so, let me help you (you're here to learn, right?) - what would be a good translation for this second part of the sentence?
If you come with something of your own (not google translate) and show an effort to learn, then I'll produce an(-other) effort to help and better (then, maybe not?) your work.

I am sure this helps !
Matthieu

Optional: Login | Sign Up 
  Answer the question or add a comment
Please log in to post an answer to this thread - or post a new question.
back to top | home© 2002 - 2021 Paul Hemetsberger | contact / privacy
French-English online dictionary (Dictionnaire Anglais-Français) developed to help you share your knowledge with others. More information
Links to this dictionary or to single translations are very welcome! Questions and Answers
Advertisement